Monday, July 5, 2010

Saude!



Saude!

To your health!

 
Last post I showed off some of the things I ate while in Portugal.  But a good meal in Portugal wouldn't be complete without a good drink.  The fish stew was delicious, but it was even better with a bottle of vinho verde.  The tarts were yummy, but I preferred them with a shot of ginja in a chocolate cup.  And a glass of port rounded off the night, of course. 


Although I loved the ginja (which is a type of cherry brandy complete with soaked cherries) and have always enjoyed port, I cannot stop thinking about the vinho verde.  Vinho verde, literally green wine, is not really green in color.  It's called "green" because it's made from young grapes.  It's crisp, refreshing and has a soft effervescent fizz to it (but far from the bubbles of sparkling wine or champagne).  It's the perfect wine served chilled for a hot summer day.  I strongly and very strongly suggest that you hurry out to a wine store, go to the white wines from Portugal section, and pick up a bottle of vinho verde for yourself.  You won't regret it.














(Portugal, photographed June 2010)

2 comments:

  1. A chocolate cup! What have I never heard of such a thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously! A chocolate cup made the cherry brandy go down so much better... imagine the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete