Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Running Woman


This post is not so much about the photos as it is about me (though I hope you find the photos pretty).  I wanted to share something that I'm very proud of -- today, I ran my first half marathon.  I've been saying that I was going to do one for a long time, but for one reason or another, I never did it.  It's not that I was afraid of running 13.1 miles, I just couldn't get my act in gear to get it done.  But this time, at my friend Lauren's suggestion, I signed up for the More Magazine Women's Half Marathon in Central Park. 

And, today was going to be the day I did my first half, come rain or shine...


And boy did it rain.  Yesterday, of course, was simply gorgeous out.  But today, not so much.  Even before the race started, it was pouring rain.  Sheets of cold rain that my rain slicker barely kept out.  But I wasn't going to let that stop me.  Nor was I going to let the knee pain that started around mile 2 stop me.  My shoes sloshed in puddles; my running pants became ten pounds heavier as they soaked in the rain.  But I trudged on...


And after two hours and twenty seven minutes of running, I crossed the finish line. 

(a very big thanks to Lauren for running at least part of the race with me and to Rosa for greeting me, sign and all, at the end)

(nyc medal, photographed April 2010)

1 comment:

  1. YAY KRISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in awe of your running skillz.

    ReplyDelete