Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Winter Wonderland


My Christmas weekend was spent in Eagle River, Wisconsin, which is the furthest north I've spent a Christmas.  I flew in from New York City to Milwaukee, where I grew up, and Dad and I then drove the five hours "up north" to Eagle River.  Eagle River is -- for those of you not in the know -- the snowmobile capital of the world.  I kid you not.  There is signage to prove it.  And gets its fair share of "lake effect" snow.  It was a winter wonderland with white, pristine snow coverage.  But yet, despite being far north in Wisconsin, it was sunny and relatively flake free while I was there.  Kind of funny that the big snowstorm happened in New York City instead.


We wanted to surprise my grandmother and other relatives for Christmas (more on that later), but while we were in Eagle River, we also enjoyed the great outdoors.  We hiked (well, more like walked a nature trail while both Dad and I took an insane amount of photographs.  I am truly my father's daughter in that sense) and went snowmobiling (you have to in the snowmobile capital on the world).  It was great to be outside in the fresh air.  I even enjoyed the light, fluffy snow that fell when we were hiking.  Plus it was fun to try to capture it using a very fast shutter speed on my camera.  

I'm headed into a different winter wonderland this weekend - Vermont - to be a ski bunny for the New Years.  Should be a good way to ring in the new year.  Happy New Years to you! 
 



(Eagle River, photographed December 2010)


No comments:

Post a Comment