Monday, September 6, 2010

The Writing is on the Wall


One thing that stands out in my memories of Portugal is the graffiti (especially in Lisboa and Porto).  Around every street corner there was another spray-painted image.  My friend Laura and I were intrigued by this street art.  Yes, although I don't want anyone to tag the side of my house, I think that sometimes graffiti can be quite beautiful or thought-provoking.  The strawberry above falls into the former category, but a lot of the graffiti that I saw in Portugal fell into the latter category, rife with political messages and expressing personal discontent.

(And sorry for the short message today.  I certainly fulfilled the "labor" part of labor day, meaning there's wasn't much time left over for posting.)








(Portugal, photographed June 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment